Saturday, April 3, 2010

Boob Awareness - and yes PINK Balls!

October represents Breast Cancer Awareness Month. If you are not already aware, a mere trip to the store or a viewing of an NFL game will display pink ribbons on display! Cancer ribbons exist on hats, shirts, decals on cars! I recently purchased my father pink racquetballs both in my support of cancer and I thought it'd be a humorous way of watching him play racquetball with pink balls!

Every month carries an awareness of some kind. From cervical cancer, skin cancer, prostate and more, every month provides a reminder of the realities and effects of cancer. My goal is to make it to June and partake amongst others on National Cancer Survivor Day!

This being said, I think it is important to recognize that breast cancer is the second most common type of cancer after lung cancer. It is also the most common form of cancer among women. There are currently 2.5. Million survivors within the United States, that's only 2x the population of San Antonio. These numbers remind us the importance of getting checked annually.

Men, before you stop reading note this note that breast cancer also affects men. Additionally, prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men. 1 in 6 men will at some point become diagnosed with cancer. Men, I don't care if you play with pink balls or not, get yourself checked regularly.

Though each month carries an awareness we have to remain aware all the time. Cancer does not discriminate. It cares not of your age, race, gender nor your status within the community. Recently Elf Louise (Louise Locker) encountered the news herself. My thoughts, prayers and humor are with her and her loved ones in this time of need.

Though certain cancers are more common than others it's important to understand that some are unique. I'm unique. Even though I have cervical cancer I do not have the HVP virus. I just like to think I help keep cancer research alive! And yes, there is a month for that too!

I've educated you that you shouldn't wait until you are diagnosed with an illness or age to maintain a bucket list. On the same end, you shouldn't wait till you are ill to go to the doctor and find you have cancer. Get checked regularly and get checked annually. A simple check-up can save your future and increase your chances of survival when detected early. It can be the difference! Till then, become aware and play with pink balls!

No comments:

Post a Comment